Saturday, October 13, 2007

The New 405-101 Interchange

Has anyone else driven it yet during rush hour? Have you noticed the difference? I go the opposite way of traffic on my way back from work and I have to admit, I was skeptical that any construction would help relieve congestion. I was proven wrong, though (happily). I've seen a noticeable improvement in the transition flow from the 405 to the 101 and have seen traffic actually back up due to 405 slowing and the interchange is just putting along. This band-aid was way overdue and has worked out so far, which is great news for LA commuters.

In addition, the carpool lane on S-405 through the Westside has been extended an offramp and ends now at the Santa Monica Blvd. offramp. That extension and widening has also helped traffic along the Westside, but is still far from complete. Personally, I can't wait for Cal-Trans to complete the section from the 10 to the 90. That always seems to be the slowest moving part of my commute, and since I actually use the Marina freeway, the extra lanes dedicated to the transition will definitely free up my drive and chop 5-10 minutes off my commute time.

LA traffic may suck, but it is slowly improving. Still, the only way to bring the demand for freeway space to the level of supply is to institute a highly intricate light-rail system, like the plans that are currently in their infant stages. Of course I urge everybody to support these mass transit plans, both in the implementation stages (like not putting up a stink about where the rail goes) as well as the financial backing in the voting booths in the upcoming elections this year and next.

How the hell else are we going to become the biggest and best city in the country!?!

No comments: