Thursday, November 03, 2011

October BC Post FAIL

I held off on posting about Breast Cancer Awareness month because I wanted to follow the common advice of not writing anything when incensed.  However, as the month wore on, I realized that this is a subject over which I will never be less than adamant over its sketchy and less-than-benevolent nature for a cause.  I continued my research on the matter, but I never got to delving into the operations of SGK to uncover the true percentage of $ that actually goes to the cause.  This, however, I will contend over and over and over again.  The SGK foundation repatriates more money into the US Economy than it sends to breast cancer research.  This is because they spend inordinate amounts of money on advertising and in partnering on pink-branding products that it isn't feasible to pass-through even a majority of the donations or product revenue to the actual cause.

But I'll stop there because October is over.  I will double my efforts for a post or a few posts on the topic next year, but I WILL leave this on the table...

-Pancreatic Cancer kills a higher percentage of its victims (i.e. Patrick Swayze, Steve Jobs)
-Lung Cancer kills 4x as many people as breast cancer
-The only cancers that have higher gender specificity are ovarian, testicular, and prostate

So, until next year, something to marinate on...

No comments: