Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Disclaimer: College Sports Bias

I am a huge supporter of college sports, much more so than with professional sports. While I do intend to report on and give my opinions of the happenings in LA college athletics, I feel obligated to disclose the perceived biases that I may have so that it’s easier to understand where I’m coming from and how the topic will be covered on this site.

I attended a WCC school (Santa Clara University, the oldest institution of higher learning in the Golden State), so I will tend to give some extra attention to LA’s WCC schools, Pepperdine and LMU, especially as to how they fair against my Alma Matre.

As for the Pac-10 cross town rivalry, my school is also an SC and does not have a football team. So, ever since my Freshman year in college I have adopted the Trojans as my honorary college football team. This was in 2000 when they were terrible, so don’t call me a bandwagon fan; I’m better than that. However, basketball has always been my sport. I grew up going to UCLA games and basketball camps, not to mention both my Dad and Grandfather went to UCLA. That said, I lean to the West Side when it comes to basketball season. Still, I’d like to clarify that unless UCLA and USC are going head to head, I am a larger supporter of my city, so I never hold bad blood between the two schools and I root for both of them 8 Pac-10 games of the football season, and 16 games of the basketball season.

That being said, it’s abut time to get the 2007-’08 college athletics year underway!!! Football, soccer, and women’s volleyball outlooks to come soon!

No comments: