Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Can I Blame Hollywood For Feeling Stupid?

Now I know I'm not a genius, but I've always considered myself smarter than the av-er-age bear.  However, I know my areas of strength and weakness.  Admitedly, I haven't been present on the cutting edge of computer technology since 2000, when I could piece together, install, and reformat the best Pentium II's out there, and had enough cockiness to talk trash on Compaq and how terrible their hardware design was (Compaq was subsequently bought by HP, and Compaq computers were pulled from the shelves).

Even still, in my office I'm known as the technologically saavy one- and I just got a smartphone in November!  Of course, I'm quick on the learning curve with these things and can navigate for utility pretty quickly.

However, as is probably painfully obvious in this blog, my coding skills are, for lack of a better term, shit.  You best believe that I'm editing this post in the HTML-enhanced editor that is provided, because I just don't care to be bothered with
or whatever tags and code are necessary to make little changes and enhancements to text, etc.  I would prefer to simply click to turn on bold, and click up upload a picture into my post.

Lately, I've been re-watching episodes of 24, and everyone at CTU seems to have a level of programming capability and general knowledge of computers that I'm barely able to comprehend.  And to top it off, yesterday I saw The Social Network; great film, btw.  But again, it seems that every character in the movie, lawyers included to some extent, has an intricate knowledge of computer programming or something similar.  Damn you Hollywood!  You found a way to make even me feel insecure; congrats on your success!

No comments: