Monday, March 18, 2013

My 20/20 Experience

Let me beging right away by stating that I did enjoy this album.  +Justin Timberlake 's new LP is by any objective standard a solid album, and probably the best released in 2013 so far.

That said, the title is deceptive, and not indicitive of the feel of the album.  Knowing that this is in fact an album from the veteran Mr. Timberlake, it feels highly calculated and carefully produced; a more apt name would be "Under the Microscope," or "Up Close Blues," something that captured the blusey Memphis feel of the album, yet notes the careful crafting of the music and lyrics.

The JT that we have all become familiar with, the upbeat dance/club hits, the "Winner," "Carryout," "Sexyback," "Summer Love," "Seniorita," "Rock Your Body," +Justin Timberlake is nowhere to be found on this album.  This can be viewed as growth, artistic liberty in creating a time piece (my personal theory), or too much worry over perfection, which I believe is the conclusion many will come to.

It seems that Justin was looking to do something new and different with this album; a buttoned-up ode to his roots.  The music clearly follows this theme with the Memphis blues undertones, and the lengthy, cinematic movement to each track.  My only complaint to this formula comes in the form of a "Futuresex/Lovesounds" Flashback.  Someone in the studio got nostalgic with "Mirrors," and borrowed the split-track theme; something I feel should have been left with the previous LP.

Overall, my 20/20 experience was a great one, but given that we waited 6 1/2 years for it, I can't help but wonder what Mr. Timberlake is holding back.  I'm sorry, but after that long of a hiatus, you can't tell me that the upbeat, funloving, grown-up kid that has continually taken us on a dancefloor tour with his pop-prowess doesn't have a set of tracks for the club packed away.  No way.  I'm calling it now; we've got a Nelly Suit/Sweat situation going on right here.  I'll let you infer which album this one is.

No comments: