Friday, February 04, 2011

Breakfast With The Chief of Police

It's no secret; I'm a member of the West LA Chamber of Commerce. On Wednesday was the monthly breakfast the Chamber holds, with LAPD Chief Charlie Beck as the guest speaker for the morning. I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to hear the chief speak, and he and I see eye to eye on most issues.

Primarily, we both believe that from an overall perspective, public safety is the core function of government; I think most would agree. Chief Beck made the point that if the public does not feel safe in the city of LA, it has a direct ripple effect into the economy as businesses are deterred, property values depress, and so on. He is absolutely correct in that manner.

However, it is the means in which to achieve the end that he and I diverge on our views. I can absolutely understand that from a law enforcement professional's opinion, policing is the primary means with which to achieve public safety. But I would argue that policing is simply one of many tools in which public safety is achieved, and just like any other approach, becomes ineffective when too much emphasis is placed on one method alone.

While policing is indeed an important pillar of public safety, I would argue that education is a more integral service provided by government that affects public safety. Granted, education is not going to reduce the overall crime rate, but will certainly reduce violent crime, which has the most bearing on public safety. Now, in California, and in LA in particular, the education system has it's own massive issues and logistical problems, so perhaps Chief Beck is looking at the best practical application, but I'm a bit of a social altruist, so I stick by the education argument.

Either way though, good talk, Chuck, and thanks for coming to the Chamber breakfast and your service to the City of Los Angeles!

No comments: